To follow is BRM job description template by Joe Topinka, excerpted from his book, 'IT Business Partnerships: A Field Guide.'
BRM Job Description Template
Common BRM Job Titles
- Business Relationship Manager
- Business Relationship Executive
- Business Information Manager
- IT Business Partner
Reports To: Chief Information Officer (CIO)
General Purpose of the Job: The IT Business Partner (ITBP) has the overall responsibility to serve as the strategic interface with assigned business units or functional area for the purpose of business technology strategy development, solution discovery, service management, risk management and relationship management. The ITBP serves as the business relationship link between business units and IT at the executive level. The ITBP provides highly valued strategic consulting level support and guidance through key IT initiatives. They communicate decisions, priorities and relevant project information to appropriate levels of staff regarding business unit requests and projects and initiatives. They proactively share knowledge of technology risks and opportunities to build competitive advantage and improve efficiency and effectiveness of business units. They partner with business leadership and other key stakeholders to define opportunities and identify and prioritize projects based on predefined criteria (e.g. return on investment, productivity, compliance).
The ITBP proactively serves as a “trusted advisor,” and is the primary IT point of contact to business line executives and managers. They operate as the key business contact representing IT in promoting IT services and capabilities. The ITBP provides support in delivering technology products that meet the needs of the business. The ITBP focuses on strategic initiatives and planning activities for their business area. They strive to understand market challenges, including customer priorities and competitive issues. ITBPs are proactive and anticipatory in their thinking. They are, by nature, driven and provide significant value to business units. ITBP’s facilitate the investment intake process and the high level planning and execution of business initiatives through the use of technology. They serve a lead role in enabling the business to achieve their objectives through the effective use of technology.
Related resource: The Ultimate IT BRM Job Description Template (free download)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Responsible for the development and implementation of solution roadmaps and to ensure successful introductions across the organization and with customers.
- Collaborate with management to develop annual budgets for respective business areas.
- Develop solution concepts and business cases for new investments.
- Perform business analysis and prepare recommendations and business plans as needed.
- Create and analyze relevant information and develop recommendations that they present to senior management.
- Act as the key liaison across all functional areas, including business units, the information technology department, and outside vendors.
- Possess a broad knowledge of most technical and business resources and use them to effectively coordinate team members and external resources.
- Create shared vision of their respective solutions and facilitate decision making and arbitration relating to trade-offs both within and between different solution platforms.
- Develop and implement sound rationale for portfolio management and managing product phase-in-phase-out plans, proactively anticipating gaps and overlaps within the portfolio.
- Create consensus with other functions as to the timing of solution introductions and withdrawals.
- Oversee the launch of solutions and help to maximize the positive impact on the organization.
- Identify, screen and evaluate new solution opportunities to address unmet (internal and external) customer needs.
- Partner with key staff members to create strategic business plans.
- Possess strong analytical skills, including an understanding of business economics and financial resources.
- Utilize the appropriate technologies and ensure that customers have the solutions they need, when they need them, and in the media best suited to their requirements.
- Collaborate with architecture and operations teams to ensure solution compatibility with company standards.
- Collaborate with the Project Management Office on the intake process and prioritization of candidate projects across the company.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Participate in strategic and budgetary planning processes, prepare and administer work unit operating budgets; provide recommendations on desired policies and goals and implement new/revised programs according to established guidelines.
- Participate in field research in pursuit of new solutions and to evaluate the applicability and usefulness of current solutions.
CUSTOMERS (Internal and External), Business Units (e.g., wholesale teams, retail teams, supply chain teams, HR, Finance), and key vendors
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a four-year college or university or 10 to 15 years of IT and business/industry work experience, with at least 3 years of leadership experience and 5 years developing and executing strategic plans and/or project portfolios or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or other related field or equivalent work experience. Product Development Management Association- New Product Development Professional (NPDP) certification is desirable.
Breadth: Typically has 10 to 15 years of IT and business work experience with a broad range of exposure to various technical environments and business segments. At least 3 years of experience with managing team(s) responsible in strategic planning, business development or client management and working with a broad range of diverse and complicated business units.
The incumbent must possess strong business acumen.
The ITBP works with senior level management, business units and corporate staff executives to develop a technology strategy that is integrated with IT and across all business units. ITBPs must have a strong understanding of each business unit to include their business drivers for success, process and approaches to business models.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strategic thinking and planning
- Operational execution excellence
- Nimble LEAN thinking to drive change that enables efficiencies and drives growth
- Systems thinking
- Team and collaboration orientation
- Problem solving
- Performance driven
- Learning orientation
- Public speaking
- Effective written/verbal communication skills
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATES OR KNOWLEDGE:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to plan strategically
- Knowledge of and experience with the Product Development Management Association and/or the Project Management Institute
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: N/A
- Some overtime or adjusted hours required
- Moderate travel required